The University of Oxford, Chemistry Laboratory designed by fjmt – Francis-Jones Morehen Thorp is located in Oxford, United Kingdom. Despite the contemporary appearance of this addition, much care has been taken to complement the hue, scale and texture of the surrounding stone structures. The louvres also enable the building’s users to personally monitor the amount of natural light entering their internal environment as well as the extent to which natural ventilation is used.
Currently the University of Oxford Chemistry Department operates from a number of solitary buildings constructed between 1916 and 1959 which are grossly underdeveloped for use as scientific research facilities. The main Chemistry Research Laboratory will be connected to fjmt’s new Chemistry Oxford building through an underground channel or ‘street’ which will be light-filled and designed to encourage inter-building communication and collaboration.