The St. Paul’s Anglican Church was designed by Black + Moffat Architects is located in Bloor Street, Toronto, Canada. The objectives of the church universal access, security and flexibility will be achieved by the addition of buildings that physically connect the three historic buildings: Church, Old Church and Cody Hall.
The internal refurbishment will clarify and reveal the level of fine historical items, such as wood and truss ceilings, stained glass and stonework that were hidden for decades. The proposal of the proportion of additional surfaces consists of three additions, including a glass entrance subtle in an alley of the former to be used as a second narthex and atrium.
One of the main objectives of the proposed design is to integrate the existing buildings into a coherent installation, while maintaining the historic architectural expression. Currently, the integrity of the church facilities are suffering because of the path of vehicles, changes in floor levels and insensitive interior renovations.
St. Paul’s Anglican Church has been located at its current location since 1842. The site and buildings are among the city’s most significant historic architecture of the city of Toronto. It is the largest Anglican church in Canada and is of national importance.
The old church was built between 1857-60 with significant changes and expansions underway in 1890, 1894, 1904, 1913 and 1828 and with many internal renovations in the intervening years. The church was built between1910-13 and can accommodate about 1,600 people. Cody Hall was dedicated in 1928 and contains an “Oxford” style auditorium for 250 seats, a full-size gymnasium, two bowling alleys, meeting rooms and classrooms.