Located in Ancoats, Manchester, United Kingdom, Ancoats, Manchester, United Kingdom was designed by BDP. The 13,000 square metre complex was begun in 1797 and by 1805 had become the largest factory in the world. Powered by steam and lit by gas, it was visited by many people from Europe and North America as a wonder of the age. The buildings remained in textile production until the late 1950s from which time they declined in use and condition. Detailed examination showed that the buildings had always been inherently weak. However, the site was considered to be of such significance that it was taken into public ownership.