The Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center designed by Rockwell Group is located in Lincoln Center, New York, United States. Located on West 66th Street, the new Elinor Bunin Munroe Film Center is a contemporary take on the historic Italian opera house with a vestigial nod to its former use as parking garage. To draw people in, Rockwell has designed an eye-catching entrance comprised of a 90ft glass wall imprinted with the names of more than 1000 films that have been shown at the society, an LED ticker displaying movies and screening times, and a box office that extends over the sidewalk.
Carved deep into the ground, the amphitheatre has tiered bench seating in hues of orange and yellow and is finished in maple panels with vertical slots that provide air conditioning and sound absorption. The space is dramatically punctuated with a 16ft wide garage door. Flanking the amphitheatre are two small screening rooms (one with 90 seats and another with 150). While comfortable and commodious, these rooms seem small given the Center’s aspiration to become the City’s top spot for film viewing, but their size and low ceiling heights were dictated by the existing structural grid.