Located in Duluth, United States, Bagley Classroom Building was designed by Salmela Architect. The nature reserve where this building is located is a contiguous natural area, 55 acres in size, deeded to the University which charged the architect with designing a facility to serve eight different departments for the nature portions of their teaching. The University desired that this building have minimum environmental impact and be an overall energy producer in spite of the fact that it is in the cold climate of Northern Minnesota, USA. As a result the Classroom Building is designed as a zero-energy and near-zero waste building.
The project is designed to reduce its energy consumption by 90% and the remaining 10% energy need is 5,500 kWh per year. The grid-connected photovoltaic panels are projected to produce between 7,500 and 8,500 kWh per year making it a positive energy producer. The primary source of winter heating is the sun.